The Rhone American Cemetery and Memorial was created in August 1944 by Angelin German, MD a fighter in the French Résistance. He decided to bury two fallen american paratroopers in an olive grove next to
the town cemetery. In July 1956 the cemetery was officially consecrated and became American ground as France had given the land to the United State.
A passage from Harriman Travel Books on the Cemetery:
"At Rhone American Cemetery, 12 acres in size, 861 heroes rest peacefully with another 294 comrades to be honored on the Wall of the Missing—many of whom lost their lives while fighting with General Patch's Seventh Army for the liberation of southern France in August 1944. That same month on the 19th the burial ground was established, a mere four days after the Allied coastal invasion (Operation Dragoon) that struck due south on the Côte d’Azur to assist the Normandy operations. Of the hundreds of patriots interred here, there are two sets of brothers who rest side by side, the only U.S. Marine from World War II buried in France (SSG Charles Perry died while on a secret mission behind enemy lines to assist and train the French Resistance), and one woman (pictured): 1st Lt. Aleda Lutz from Michigan (plot D, row 8, grave 19), who flew an astounding 196 missions as an Army Air Corps flight nurse helping to evacuate and medically assist more than 3,500 servicemen. It was upon one of these missions from the front that the C-47 she was flying in crashed, killing all aboard (Nov 1, 1944)."